Some day I’ll come back to this and try to suss out why it is that these particular quotes stuck with me. For now, these particular phrases pop in and out of my head with fairly dependable regularity.
- “Ain’t that a kick in the head?’ (Said after he’d lost a particularly bitter contention.)
- “I want us to be able to argue without fighting.”
- “I spotted something on your resume your parents wouldn’t be proud of: You’re ‘conversational’ in Taiwanese but ‘fluent’ in French?!”
- “I never thought we’d argue over money.”
- “It sounds like you’ve got some leftover stuff to iron out, too…I think this is the easiest breakup I’ve ever had.”
I guess we all carry pieces of other people around with us.