In July, I started a new publication called Reads & Eats. (View it here.) Each month, I pen an essay about an American food I’m obsessed with, from club sandwiches to Long John Silver’s crumbly bits and everything in between. I also feature an emerging writer. It’s my way of sharing my platform as a published writer and professional editor.
Here’s what you need to know to submit to Reads & Eats.
You must be:
- An emerging writer with fewer than five publications. None of these publications should be a book.
- Marginalized (I do not ask for proof or anything like that.)
Your submission must be:
- A work of prose–either fiction or nonfiction is welcome (I do not read poetry; I am not qualified to vet or edit it)
- 750 words or fewer
- Pasted into the body of your email
- About food in some way
- E-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
I accept 25 submissions per month. If I have reached this cap, you will get an autoreply. Please wait until the 8th of the following month to submit again.
Writers get paid $100, and I buy first Internet and Online Rights for two months. After that, all rights revert to you. Please reference Reads & Eats in future publications. You also get a free lifetime submission to Reads & Eats.
That’s it! Super easy, but write to me if you have any questions.